Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Money Attitudes

My first real experiences with how people manage their finances began at age 11 when I took over my older brother’s newspaper route. Back in those days I had to go door to door each month to collect for the previous month’s deliveries. My route was in a decent middle class neighborhood. Most of my customers readily paid up the first time I found them at home. Some were hard to find at home. About 20% — almost always the same people — made me come back a second time.

There were a few on my route that made me come back four or five times every month. There was always an excuse. Probably the most common was that the spouse was out with the checkbook. I’d think, come on, people. You’ve already received the goods and services. We’re talking about a grand total of $4.25. Quit giving me the run around and cough it up!

Sometimes I’d have to threaten to stop delivering the paper. I only had to actually stop delivery a few times during my nearly six-year tenure. It was funny how quickly people came up with the money when that happened. My parents wondered more than once how people like that treated their other creditors, given that they were willing to stiff a little kid.

Over the next few days I am going to discuss my experiences with people’s attitudes and relationships with respect to money and finances. I believe that how people in our nation relate to these matters creates the basis for how our government handles money and finances in the name of We the People.

Next segment in this series: YM and OPM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister in law was recently pontificating on how to change the way our nation approaches fiscal(ir)responsibility - everything she said centered on individual attitudes about money.

Anonymous said...

Scott,

I apologize for visiting and posting a query not related to your post here, but your comment had me quite intrigued.

I read your referral about the John Starno book regarding back pain on ThatOneGuy's blog. I have a 17 year old daughter that suffers from ongoing backpain (genetics partially) and I wondered if the theories, exercises, and information would help someone of her age?

Given the doctors lack of adequate treatment, we are willing to try just about anything. Might this source provide us some insight or is it more geared for adult treatment/causes/symptoms?

Drop me a line on my blog if you don't mind.

Sincerely,
4